Henry Tupper, founder of Shaw University

Following the Civil War, former Union Army chaplain Dr. Henry Martin Tupper came to Raleigh seeking to reach the freedmen of the area. In addition to his regular ministry, he also wanted to create a school to train African-American church leaders. Tupper began holding theological classes on Dec.1, 1865, in the Eagle Hotel on Edenton Street. These classes paved the way for what is the current day Shaw University, making it the oldest African-American university in the South, and the third university to open in Raleigh. The new facility opened for its first official day of classes on October 15, 1866, a year after Tupper first arrived in Raleigh. In 1866, the university also began allowing women to take classes, making it the first to allow women in the South.

Shaw University Leonard School of Medicine

Shaw University Leonard School of Medicine was the first four-year medical school below Washington D.C. for African-Americans. Shaw's Leonard School of Medicine was founded in 1885 and was the first four-year medical school to train African-American doctors in the South.

Shaw University Men's Basketball Team 1925

Shaw University Women's Basketball Team 1916

Shaw University Estey Hall

Shaw University Estey Hall, first building specifically built for female African-American students. By 1870 the school had over 150 students and had outgrown the original building. After hearing about the school's needs, Elijah Shaw of Massachusetts donated $8,000. The money was used to purchase land in the southeastern part Raleigh and construction began on new facilities. Shaw's generous contributions led to the renaming of the school first as Shaw Collegiate Institute in 1872 and then later Shaw University in 1875.